Niacinamide is a type of vitamin B3 found naturally in foods such as meats, fish, grains and vegetables. But in addition to being an essential nutrient for overall health, niacinamide is also a popular ingredient in the beauty industry for its benefits and positive effects on the skin. From hydrating the skin to improving the appearance of wrinkles and blemishes, niacinamide is a valuable ingredient worth considering for skin care.
What is niacinamide?
Niacinamide is a water-soluble form of vitamin B3 that can be easily absorbed by the skin. Once in the skin, it acts as a moisturising and barrier-strengthening agent, helping to retain moisture and prevent water loss.
It is also a potent antioxidant that helps protect the skin from the damaging effects of free radicals and UV rays.
Recently, it has gained popularity as a key ingredient in the skin care industry due to its numerous beneficial effects.
It is often used as a moisturising and smoothing ingredient that helps to keep the skin hydrated and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It is also an excellent ingredient for reducing inflammation and redness in the skin, making it ideal for those with sensitive skin or skin problems such as acne.
Niacinamide offers a wide range of positive effects on the skin, including:
- Moisturising – An effective moisturising ingredient that can help keep skin hydrated and soft. By increasing the production of ceramides in the skin, niacinamide helps strengthen the skin barrier, which reduces water loss and keeps skin hydrated throughout the day.
- Reducing inflammation – It can also help reduce inflammation in the skin. By reducing the production of inflammatory substances in the skin, it helps reduce swelling, redness and irritation, which can improve the skin’s appearance.
- Strengthening the skin barrier – The skin barrier is the outer layer of the skin that helps protect the skin from exposure to harmful external elements, such as pollution and UV rays. It helps strengthen the skin barrier, which can help prevent the appearance of sun damage and premature ageing. Niacinamide helps strengthen the skin barrier, which may improve the appearance of skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and blemishes.
- Reduction of dark spots – Niacinamide has also been shown to be effective in treating dark spots and dyschromia. Vitamin B3 can help reduce melanin production, by reducing melanin production in the skin, niacinamide helps to improve the evenness of skin tone and reduce the appearance of dark spots and dyschromias.
- Improving the appearance of wrinkles – Helps improve the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines in the skin. By stimulating collagen production in the skin, niacinamide can help improve skin elasticity and firmness, which can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Improves hyaluronic acid production – Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring molecule found in the body and is responsible for keeping the skin hydrated and smooth. With age, hyaluronic acid production decreases, which can lead to the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Niacinamide helps stimulate the production of hyaluronic acid, which helps to keep skin hydrated and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
It is important to note that niacinamide is a safe and well-tolerated ingredient for most people. However, it is possible that some people may experience allergic reactions or skin irritation. Therefore, it is important to test niacinamide on a small area of skin before applying it to the entire face.
In short, niacinamide is a valuable skin care ingredient that offers numerous beneficial effects. It is a versatile ingredient that can improve the appearance and health of the skin. If you are looking for an effective ingredient to improve the appearance of your skin, consider adding niacinamide to your skin care regimen.
Ways to consume niacinamide
Niacinamide can be consumed in a number of different forms, including capsules, creams and serums. Each format has its own advantages and disadvantages, and it is important to choose the right format to suit your individual skin care needs. Here are some of the most common formats of niacinamide and when it is best to use them:
- Capsules: Niacinamide capsules are an easy and convenient way to get the right amount of niacinamide in your diet. These capsules are suitable for those looking to improve their overall health and get the beneficial effects of niacinamide in the body.
- Creams and lotions: Creams and lotions are ideal for those looking to improve the appearance of the skin, especially if they have dry or dehydrated skin problems. These products are applied directly to the skin and provide hydration and nourishment to the skin.
- Serums: Serums are ideal for those looking for a more concentrated treatment for the skin. These products provide a large amount of niacinamide in a lighter format that can be easily applied to the skin. Serums are also suitable for those looking to treat specific skin problems such as wrinkles, blemishes and uneven texture.
How is niacinamide used?
Niacinamide can be used in different ways, depending on the form it comes in. Here are some recommendations for using niacinamide in your skincare routine:
- Serum: Apply after cleansing the skin and before applying your moisturiser. You can apply a few drops in the palm of your hand and rub gently into the skin.
- Cream: Apply after cleansing the skin and after applying your serum. You can apply a moderate amount of cream to the palm of your hand and rub gently into the skin.
- Oral supplement: If you are taking an oral niacinamide supplement, follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take the supplement as needed.
It is important to follow a regular skin care routine and protect the skin from UV rays for best results. In addition, it is advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or skin care specialist before starting to use niacinamide to make sure it is suitable for your individual needs.
How to use niacinamide in skin care
Niacinamide can be found in a wide variety of skin care products, including serums, creams and lotions. For best results, it is important to follow these recommendations:
- Use a quality product – It is important to ensure that you use a quality product that contains an effective concentration of niacinamide. It is recommended to look for products with a concentration of at least 2% niacinamide.
- Apply to clean skin – Before applying niacinamide, it is important to carefully cleanse the skin to remove any impurities or build-up of make-up.
- Apply to damp skin – It is best to apply niacinamide to damp skin, as this helps to improve absorption of the active ingredients.
- Use consistently – For best results, it is important to use niacinamide consistently on a regular basis.
Although niacinamide is a safe and effective ingredient for most people, it is important to be aware of some contraindications. Here are some considerations to keep in mind:
- Sensitivity to niacinamide – Some people may be sensitive to niacinamide and experience adverse reactions, such as skin irritation, redness or itching. In these cases, it is important to stop using the product and seek medical attention if irritation persists.
- Use on skin with eczema or dermatitis – If you have eczema or dermatitis, niacinamide may aggravate the condition. Therefore, it is important to consult a doctor before using products containing niacinamide.
- Interaction with other products – Niacinamide may interact with other skin care products, such as acids or retinoids. It is important to consult a doctor or dermatologist before using niacinamide with other skin care products.
- Systemic side effects – Rarely, oral intake of niacinamide may cause systemic side effects, such as bloating, diarrhoea, vomiting or nausea. Therefore, it is important to follow recommended doses and to talk to a doctor before taking oral niacinamide supplements.
What not to mix Niacinamide with
Niacinamide can be mixed with many other skin care ingredients, but there are some that are best avoided. Here are some ingredients to avoid mixing with:
- Strong acids: Niacinamide is an alkaline ingredient that can neutralise the effect of strong acids, such as glycolic acid or salicylic acid. Therefore, it is best to apply products containing acids and niacinamide at different times of the day.
- Products with retinoids: Retinoids, such as vitamin A, are very effective skin care ingredients, but can be too strong when combined with niacinamide. Therefore, it is best to apply retinoids and niacinamide at different times of the day.
- Vitamin C products: Vitamin C is an effective skin care ingredient, but may be unstable when combined with niacinamide. Therefore, it is best to apply products with vitamin C and niacinamide at different times of the day.
- Products with abrasive products: Niacinamide is a mild ingredient that can be harmful to the skin when combined with abrasive products, such as exfoliants. Therefore, it is best to avoid exfoliating the skin when using a product with niacinamide.
What can Niacinamide be mixed with?
These are some of the ingredients that can be combined with niacinamide:
- Moisturisers: Niacinamide is a moisturising ingredient that can be combined with other humectants, such as glycerin, to improve skin hydration.
- Oils: It can be combined with oils, such as jojoba oil or rosehip oil, to improve the appearance of the skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Antioxidants: Niacinamide is an antioxidant that can be combined with other antioxidants, such as vitamin E and astaxanthene, to improve skin protection against free radical damage.
- Ceramides: Can be combined with ceramides, a type of lipid found naturally in the skin, to improve the skin barrier and prevent moisture loss.
- Peptides: Niacinamide can be combined with peptides, which are proteins that help stimulate collagen production, to improve skin firmness and tone.
Niacinamide can be combined with many other skin care products to enhance its beneficial effects. Here are some products that can be combined with niacinamide:
- Cleansers: Can be combined with mild cleansers to help balance the skin’s pH and prevent dryness.
- Toners: Can be combined with toners to improve skin hydration and appearance.
- Serums: Can be combined with serums to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines and improve skin texture and tone.
- Moisturiser: Can be combined with moisturiser to help keep skin hydrated and prevent moisture loss.
- Sunscreen: Can be combined with sunscreen products to improve skin protection against UV damage and improve skin’s appearance.
- Ageing products: Can be combined with ageing products, such as retinol and hyaluronic acid, to improve the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines and improve skin hydration.
Choosing the best cream or serum with Niacinamide
There are many niacinamide creams and serums on the market, each with different concentrations and formulations.
When choosing a cream or serum with niacinamide, it is important to consider the following criteria:
- Niacinamide concentration: The concentration of niacinamide in the product varies, so it is important to choose a product with the right concentration for your individual needs.
- Skin type: Some products may be more suitable for dry skin, while others are better for oily or combination skin. Be sure to choose a product suitable for your skin type.
- Formula: Some products contain additional ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, vitamin C or retinol, which may enhance the effects of niacinamide on the skin. Choosing a product with a formula suited to your individual needs can help you get the best results.
- Price: Niacinamide products can range in price from affordable to high-end products. It is important to choose a product that fits your budget and is good value for money.
Some of the most popular products on the market include:
- Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster
- The Inkey List Niacinamide
- Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 Night Moisturizer
- Obagi Medical Niacinamide 10% Vitamin B3 Serum
- Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment
One of the products with a good price-quality ratio is:
Simpla 360 – A deep-acting microcapsule serum containing: Niacinamide, Retinyl Palmitate, Bamboo Leaf Extract, Ubiquinone, Tocopherol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hyaluronic Acid and a set of Peptides.
This serum has been designed as an all-in-one skincare product to help replace many beauty products required for routine skincare.
Below is a Product Review with more information:
Learn more about >> Simpla 360 <<
DISCLAIMER: REVIEWMAX is a review site that provides information about products sold on the Internet. The information contained on this site is not a substitute for consultation with your health care professional. This site does not sell or manufacture any pharmaceutical products.